Here we go, My Top 5 Runner in the Kentucky Derby!
- Dullahan: He is going to be a huge threat as he will be closing past many tiring front runners and stalkers. Love a huge field but might have some competition as there are a lot of closers in this field.
- Take Charge Indy: He is mainly up here because of Calvin Borel. Drawing the three hole means he will be close to the rail and could be an ideal “front runner” in this race, as long as he does not tire with the rest of his front running friends.
- Rousing Sermon: I like looking at the intangibles of horses and this one has the will to win. He will fight and could be there in the end as a great closer, and at a great price.
- Union Rags: He is a great three-year old and truly a phenom of a horse. Up here because of what he has proven, although he hasn’t performed in the two biggest races of his career. Maybe his patience will help him get past the front runners.
- Done Talking: No one is talking about the Illinois Derby winner. He has great speed on the outside and is patient like Union Rags. Plus, he is like a bullet when the pace slows, something that may happen in a Derby with a thousand front runners and hot weather.
Surprise Horse- Trinniberg: You are probably wondering why I am putting him up here. Well its because we will not know what his connections are thinking until he goes out of the starting gate. Everyone thinks he will go right out to the front and then tire. But this sprinter, who has never raced longer than 1400 meters, might have a trick up his sleeve. Keep an eye on his workouts and maybe you will see a diamond in the rough (or another Giacomo).
There you have it, my Top 5 Runners. See you Saturday afternoon for my Derby Pick!